Time to Get in Formation
It came out of left field. One second the air was working just fine and the next, it’s gone kaput. While we don’t live in the hottest part of the country, we certainly get our fair share of toasty summer days. So, when your air conditioner shuts down in the middle of the season, panic immediately sets in. But you don’t need to sweat it with the Matheson crew nearby. We provide prompt AC repair service in Southeastern Michigan and will swoop in to save your summer day!
While you wait for your technician to arrive, there are steps you can take to keep your home as cool and comfortable as possible. Take a look below to read through our tips. This way, should you ever encounter an issue with your AC, you’ll know how to best respond and stay cool until help arrives.
Keep Calm & Cool On
The first and most important step to take is to contact us as soon as you notice an issue with your air conditioner. Unless you are a trained HVAC professional, we never recommend trying to fix the problem yourself. Fiddling with your AC will not only prolong your discomfort, it can also worsen the existing problem and inevitably increase the final repair cost.
Once you request AC repair service, here’s what you can do to preserve the cool air until our team arrives:
- Lower the shades and close the curtains. We all love to look outside when the sun is shining brightly. But this goes out the window when your AC shuts down. To prevent indoor temperatures from climbing, one of the first and easiest things to do is close the curtains and lower the shades. The darkness will be temporary and, once your AC is fixed, you can go back to enjoying all the natural light you want.
- Turn the ceiling fans counterclockwise. Many people forget to change the direction of their ceiling fans. If they aren’t already running counterclockwise, flip the switch on all of them. You want fans to run counterclockwise during the summer to pull up cool air and disperse it throughout your home. During the winter, the fans should run clockwise so warm air is pushed to the floor.
- Avoid using the oven and stove. This might be an obvious one. But when your AC throws you for a loop and shuts down unexpectedly, you might have to change your dinner plans. Consider going out to eat, ordering takeout or grilling outside to temporarily minimize the use of heat-producing appliances.
- Lower your body temperature. Even if the temperature in your home is going up, you can control your own body temperature. Run a few towels under cold water (depending on how many people are in your home) and put the extra towels in the freezer. Put the towel around your neck to stay cool and continue to grab new towels from the freezer as needed. You also can take a cold shower to quickly lower your body temperature and feel more energized.
- Use standing fans. You might not use standing fans when your AC is working properly. But in times like these, you always want to have a few handy. Plus, you can also get creative with how you use the fans. One trick is to place a frozen water bottle in front of the fan to make the air even cooler. Or you can fill several mixing bowls with ice and place them in front of the fan for the same effect.
- Keep the doors closed. Try to minimize traffic in and out of your home as much as possible. Just as you try to avoid opening the refrigerator door during a power outage, you want to avoid opening any doors that connect the inside of your home to the outside.
- Drink cold beverages. Now is not the time to sip on a hot cup of tea or coffee! Drink cold beverages, such as water and sports drinks, to stay cool and hydrated.
- Dress for comfort. If you’re wearing pants or tight clothing, swap them out for loose clothing, such as tank tops and shorts. Light-colored, loose-fitting clothing is best.
- Open the windows at night. We do everything in our power to provide same-day service for AC repair. But if you find yourself without AC in the middle of the night, open the windows to let in the cool air. Just be sure to close them after you wake up as temperatures start to climb.
- Seek refuge in the basement. If your home has a basement, this will always be the coolest place. Head downstairs and relax until your AC is fixed.
There’s No ‘Mayday’ on Our Watch
If something goes wrong with your AC this summer, there is no need to panic. Our crew of highly experienced and friendly technicians is always waiting in the wings, ready to assist you. While we’re enroute, you can follow these tips to take swift action and preserve that last bit of cool air until your AC is fixed. And with our team nearby, we can assure you it will be fixed quickly!