Before It Gets Any Colder Out There!
If you’re like most homeowners, you use to-do lists to keep yourself organized and your household running smoothly. A fall to-do list can be especially important because it helps you prepare for the colder weather ahead. With that in mind, we’ve compiled a September to-do list to get you started off on the right foot.
1. Deep clean the kitchen.
- Give your fridge, microwave and stove a thorough cleaning. Don’t forget to check the range hood fan for any dirt and grease. Grease buildup isn’t just ugly and smelly. It’s also a fire hazard.
- If you store cleaning products under your sink, now is the time to throw out expired cleaners, sponges and rags. Plus, make sure to wipe everything down under the sink to prevent mold from growing.
- While you’re focused on items under the sink, check for any leaky or clogged pipes. If you spot anything you can’t handle, our trained and experienced plumbers are on standby and ready to take off for your house if you need us to handle a plumbing repair.
2. Attack the bedrooms and living spaces.
- Give blinds and curtains a thorough cleaning along with ceiling fans, light fixtures and vents.
- Check weatherstripping around windows and doors to keep the cold out and the warmth in.
- If you have little children or grandchildren, make sure electrical outlets are covered.
- If you own and use a fireplace, make sure it’s clean and ready for the winter season ahead.
3. Don’t forget the bathroom!
The caulking in your shower and tub can become damaged due to hard-water buildup, mildew and wear and tear over time. To keep everything safely sealed, apply fresh caulking if needed. Also, prevent slipping hazards with floor rugs that don’t slide and bath mats that grip the bottom of the tub.
4. Get your furnace/heating system tuned up.
Fall is the perfect time for heating system maintenance. Having it checked and tuned up now will provide you with peace of mind, knowing it’s ready to go when that first cold snap arrives—even if it’s unexpectedly early. When you schedule an appointment now with Matheson, we’ll also be able to help you with any AC repairs you might need as the summer winds down.
5. Stow away those summer items and bring out your fall items.
Bye, bye, shorts, swimsuits and beach towels. Hello, sweaters, jackets and snow shovels.
6. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
If your alarms use batteries, make sure they’re fresh.
The team at Matheson would like to thank you for trusting us with your heating, cooling, indoor air quality and plumbing needs from season to season. We never take it for granted that there are other options out there and that you’ve chosen us. It is our honor and our privilege to help you!
Schedule Your Next Appointment Today!
Call us at 248.971.2994 or reach out through our website to schedule your appointment today.