Matheson Is Proud of Its Past, Focused on Its Future
Are you a fan of trivia? We are—especially when it focuses on our great state of Michigan. For instance, did you know that the first air-conditioned car was manufactured in Detroit by the Packard Motor Car Company? It’s true! The year was 1939.
Here’s another interesting tidbit that hits very close to home for us: In 1946, Lt. Ross Matheson returned home to Michigan after serving as a fighter pilot in World War II to pursue his American Dream. Today, the company he founded has evolved into Matheson Heating, Air & Plumbing—the premier provider of everything HVAC and plumbing in this area, including AC installation, AC replacement, AC maintenance and AC repair in Bloomfield Hill and nearby communities.
Here are some other fun facts about Michigan that you might (or might not) know:
- The first soda pop ever made in the United States was the result of a four-year, unintentional process. In 1862, Detroit pharmacist James Vernor was trying to create a new beverage and placed the ingredients in an oak case. He then left the pharmacy, called away to serve in the Civil War. Upon his return four years later, he discovered that the beverage had developed a delicious ginger flavor. That’s how Vernors ginger ale was born.
- The city of Novi got its name from its designation as Stagecoach Stop No.VI (No. 6).
- Our beloved Mackinac Bridge is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world. It stretches 5 miles over the Straits of Mackinac to connect the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. It took three years to build and opened in 1957.
- Our 38th U.S. president, Gerald R. Ford, grew up in Grand Rapids and was a football star at the University of Michigan. Go, Wolverines! After serving on an aircraft carrier in World War II, he represented Michigan in Congress for 24 years. He also rose to the highest ranks of the Boy Scouts—Eagle Scout.
- Speaking of wolverines: We call ourselves the “Wolverine State,” but there aren’t any wolverines in Michigan anymore.
- But, on the bright side: Our Detroit Zoo was the first zoo in America with cageless, open exhibits where the animals could roam free.
- We have the only floating post office in the world. The J.W. Westcott II, which has been operating for 125 years, is based in Detroit and delivers mail to ships while they are underway.
- The largest crucifix in the world, the Cross in the Woods, is in Indian River.
We hope you enjoyed learning (or revisiting) these interesting facts about our history. At Matheson Heating, Air & Plumbing, we’re extremely proud of our past but focused on our future—serving our amazing customers. When you need an expert HVAC technician or a professional plumber in South Lyon or beyond, call Matheson. We have a history of providing exceptional service and quality products.
Call Us Today!
Call Matheson at 248.277.5762 or contact us on the web to schedule an appointment.